BUTTERMILK CAKE RECIPE | PREGNANCY CRAVINGS
Cravings...I haven't really had much up to this point. But, I am currently obsessed with cake right now, in my third and final trimester of pregnancy. How ideal right!? Fortunately enough, I haven't gained 10 pounds yet this pregnancy (not intentionally of course + the baby is doing just fine) so, it's actually a win. I can afford myself the luxury of unlimited cake. Now, I have a sweet tooth; always have and I'd like to think that I always have it. However in this pregnancy, I haven't enjoyed much sweets. So, when I say I've been craving cake, I'm talking simple, basic cake. A cake that stands alone, sans icing and extras. Sweet but not too sweet. Rich and filling and great with tea, hot chocolate or milk. This recipe, right here, is my go to. This perfect buttermilk vanilla cake recipe. So good, it can never last more than two days at the house. Even my hubby likes it and that's huge, seeing as he doesn't like sweets so I definitely take it as a compliment. Easy to make and great for entertaining guest too!
Here is what you need:
3⁄4 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla or la bit of lemon zest
Here is what you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and butter your cake pans (I always end up buttering them last lol I hate this part)
2. Beat the butter and sugar and eggs at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy in a large mixing bowl.
3. Sift the flour with the baking powder and baking soda into the mix and mix that all together
4. Add the vanilla and the buttermilk and mix until it's smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan or pans and bake for 25 to 30 min or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let it cool until it's ready to eat!
That's it! Pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!
I know I will ;)